PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT
DON’T LET THE WEATHER INTERFERE
WITH WEARING THE APPROPRIATE GEAR
What are some common winter PPE mistakes?
Winter presents some challenges when it comes to PPE including:
- Not wearing enough layers of clothing to stay warm
- Not addressing poor traction when walking on snowy or icy surfaces
These simple yet important issues can easily be eliminated by remembering the basic fundamentals of PPE
- Be sure to clear surfaces of ice and snow, and avoid unnecessary risks while walking. Also, be sure to wear “ice grippers” when needed.
- Dressing in layers is the key to staying warm. If you do notice someone developing symptoms of cold stress (uncontrolled shivering; slurred speech; confused behavior), place a 300# call and move the person to a warm area.
- Meet winter’s challenges by staying alert, staying focused, and ensuring that your PPE is appropriate for the work and the weather you will be facing.