Housekeeping refers to maintaining materials, work areas, and walking areas in a clean, orderly, sanitary, and dry condition. Bad housekeeping is dangerous at any time. It leads to increased risks, production delays, property damage, and higher costs.
- Keep floors clean and clear of waste
- Keep workplaces lighted
- Keep hoses, power cords, and welding leads out of heavily traveled walkways or areas
- Keep materials away from openings, roof edges, excavations, or trenches
- Don’t allow materials to build up
- Don’t block emergency exits, fire equipment, or first aid stations
- Don’t store chemicals and gases near heat sources or electrical equipment