LOTO – More than A Lock Part 2
Lockout/Tagout is more than just putting a yellow lock on the main electrical disconnect to a machine or part of a machine. When you are done, there are 3 very important steps you must do when removing a machine from a Lockout/Tagout state:
THREE STEPS FOR RESTART
- INSPECT – inspect the equipment to be sure that –
- All tools and other materials are remove.
- Machine is fully reassembled
- Guards and other safety devices are reinstalled
- NOTIFY – Be sure that –
- All employees are safely positioned.
- All affected employees are notified of the restart
- REMOVE – Remove lockout devices.
Remember that only the person who put the lock on may remove it.