Hazard Procedure: Rigging and Suspended Loads
- Always inspect slings before each use
- Remove any damaged sling from service
- Know the load capacity of the sling based on the hitch configuration
- Understand that slings at angles have reduced lifting capacity
- Provide softening for slings around sharp edges.
Being hit by a swinging load
- Always stay clear of suspended loads
- Never stand under a load when guiding or receiving it
- Keep your feet clear when guiding a load close to the ground
- Use tag lines on all suspended loads
- Never reach out and try to stabilize a swinging load
- Always stay in view of the operator or signaler.
Load falling out of the rigging
- Always be sure the load is centered and balanced
- Do a trial lift to assure proper load balance
- Do not attempt to lift too many pieces at one time
- Use double choker hitches when lifting multiple pieces, such as pipe.