OSHA Requirements for Rigging
OSHA has established multiple regulations designed to prevent accidents during the use of rigging. These regulations require you to:
- Inspect rigging equipment for material handling prior to use on each shift and as necessary during its use to ensure that it is safe. Defective rigging equipment shall be removed from service.
- Inspect ground where rigging equipment is to be used.
- Never load rigging equipment in excess of its recommended safe working load.
- Remove rigging equipment, when not in use, from the immediate work area so as not to present a hazard to employees.
- Make and maintain a record of the most recent month in which each alloy steel chain sling was thoroughly inspected, and make such record available for examination.
- Train on rigging materials
- Train on proper usage
- Train on hazards
- Provide and ensure proper use of proper PPE
- Establish and maintain effective signaling procedures