Space Heater Safety Tips to Avoid Fires
For your safety, follow these space heater safety tips:
- Select a space heater with a guard around the flame area or the heating element. This will help keep children, pets and clothing away from the heat source.
- When selecting a space heater, look for one that has been tested and certified by a nationally recognized testing laboratory. These heaters have been determined to meet specific space heater safety standards, and manufacturers are required to provide important use and care information to the consumer.
- Buy a heater that is the correct size for the area you want to heat.
- Show everyone in your home how to use a space heater properly.
- Keep doors open to the rest of the house if you are using an unvented fuel-burning (kerosene or natural gas) space heater. This helps to prevent pollutant build-up and promotes proper combustion. Even vented heaters require ventilation for proper combustion.
- Never leave a space heater on when you go to sleep or leave the area. For fuel-fired heaters, dangerous levels of carbon monoxide could accumulate, or unmonitored burning could cause a fire.
- Be aware that mobile homes require specially designated heating equipment. Only electric or vented fuel-fired heaters should be used.