Electrical Safety and First Aid Assistance
At approximately 4:15 p.m., an employee installing a ground conductor inside a 277/480 VAC 3-phase pan- elboard was shocked when his wrench came into contact with the “A” phase lug of the three-wire system. The employee sustained first and second degree burns from the arc flash created by the contact with the “A” phase lug. The employee was hospitalized and treated for these burns for more than one month.
- Ensure your own safety, by making sure the scene is
- If possible, and if it is safe to do so, shut off the source of
- Call 911 with explicit address & inform them the source of the current such as a downed pole,
- Do not hang up on the 911 operator until told to do
- If you cannot shut offthe source of electricity, attempt to move the source away from both you and the injured person using a dry, nonconductive object made of cardboard, plastic or wood; all without plac- ing yourself at risk of
- Begin CPR anduse an AED if theperson shows no signs of circulation,such asbreathing,coughingor movement until EMS arrives.
- Try to prevent the injured person from becoming
- Apply a Cover any burned areas with a sterile gauze bandage, if available, or a clean cloth. Don’t use a blanket or towel, because loose fibers can stick to the burns.
Source: The Mayo Clinic
This information has been developed by OSHA and its partners with the intent to assist employers, workers, and others as they strive to improve workplace health and safety. This information must be understood as a tool for addressing workplace hazards, rather than an exhaustive statement of an employer’s legal obligations, which are defined by statute, regulations, and