Life-Saving Commitment #2
Verify isolation from hazardous energy sources before work begins and use the required personal protective equipment. Isolation separates you from danger, such as electricity, pressure, toxic materials, poisonous gas, chemicals, hot liquids or other forms of stored energy.
Required personal protective equipment, such as breathing apparatus, electrical arc flash protection or chemical resistant suits protect you from danger.
- Understand the isolation that protects you from danger
- Confirm with the Supervisor or the person in charge of the work that isolations are in place
- Confirm with the Supervisor or the person in charge of the work that it is safe to start work
If you are the Supervisor or the person in charge of the work you should:
- Confirm isolation is in place; for example, lock switches, separate pipes with blanks or lock access doors
- Confirm no stored energy or other dangers remain
- Confirm that it is safe to start work
- Confirm the PPE is certified as per the manufacturer’s requirements