Effective Communication in the Workplace
In any aspect of your life, communication is key. Think of how many times miscommunication negatively impacted your day, whether with your spouse, kids, friends, or at work. Proper communication ensures everyone is on the same page.
Five Simple Tips for Developing your Communication Skills:
- Listen: Communication isn’t all just about you doing the talking. A great deal of communication involves you listening to other people. One mistake people make is that when someone else is talking they tend to only be thinking about what they want to say when it’s their turn to talk again, and therefore they are not fully listening to what is being said to them.
- Pay Attention to What You Are Saying without Saying It: Here’s another great example as to how communication is not just about talking. A great deal of it is not done verbally. We communicate so much just with the expression on our faces, the gestures we make, and the way that we stand or sit.
- Know Your Audience:Have you ever taken notice as to what communication method provides you with the best response? For instance, does your boss not respond to your emails but gives you instant feedback when you stop by her office? Or maybe you have a colleague that takes forever to look at the drafts you email them. Figure out how your coworkers like to receive information, you’ll find things move along more smoothly.
- Remember The Message Sent Isn’t Always The Message Received: Everyone is their own filter, and not everything comes out how we intend it. Many negative situations can arise from making incorrect assumptions, especially in an email or a text message. Take a step back and ask for clarification face-to-face if you need to so you don’t end up making something out of nothing.
- Get to the Point:Just as you are probably extremely busy with your daily tasks, so are your colleagues. Make sure you are concise and clear in what your expectations are in your messaging and you will see a quick turnaround in the results. In addition to being direct, keep tips 3 and 4 in mind.
By mastering these five simple communication strategies you can ensure that you are a key communicator in your work place.