Each day in some form or fashion you do lifting in this facility and at home. Lifting safely is one the most important things you can do to protect your back throughout your lifetime.
Back Strain and Back Injury Cause Serious Pain and Disability
The back supports the body. One wrong move or repeated stress on weak back muscles can cause pain and injury
- Back injuries are one of the most common causes of work-related disability
- Back pain is the second-leading cause of lost work days, after the common cold
- Once back strain occurs, it often returns
- Back injury often requires extended bed rest and, in some cases, surgery
Personal Habits Can Make Back Injury More Likely
You’re more likely to have a back injury if you’re in poor physical condition, overweight, under stress, have poor posture, or overexert yourself.
- Regular exercise can strengthen back and stomach muscles
- Always consult your doctor before starting an exercise program
- Sit and stand straight; poor posture strains the back
- Be realistic about what you can carry and what you can do; overdoing can cause lasting damage