Life Saving Commitment #4
Protect yourself against crushing and caught-in-between injuries
Be aware of all swinging, caught-in-between situations where you could be blindsided, crushed, or pinned
- Identify all potential swing radius and caught-in-between areas during task analysis process.
- Barricade areas and prevent entry to potential crushing and pinning zones.
- Make contact with operators before moving in/around equipment when it is absolutely necessary to be near equipment.
If you are the Supervisor or the person in charge of the work you should:
- Ensure all employees are trained in preventing crushing-type injuries and where they could happen.
- Properly protect and barricade all swing radius areas.
- Confirm that all pieces of equipment have passed the daily inspection and are in safe operating condition.
- Stay on the lookout for changing conditions and new situations that could cause injury.