Basic Principles of Hazard Recognition
- All employees have a responsibility to understand rules and associated hazards
- Management is responsible to provide a workplace free from hazards
- It does not take a professional to spot a hazard
- Hazard recognition is a key element of “Doing the job safely and right the first time”
- Hazard recognition is much more than the required pre-job walk down or crew review
- This is something that is done every day and throughout the day
Questions to Ask
- What job are you going to do today?
- What do I need to do this job and how will I do it?
- How can I get hurt?
- What am I going to do to prevent myself or others from getting hurt?
- What are the process hazards in my work area?
- Where are the evacuation points?
These questions should be asked and answered every day and any time the job or worksite changes