Culture Is Key to Good Safety Conversations
- Culture is shared attitudes, values, goals, and practices that characterize an organization
- Culture depends upon the capacity for learning and transmitting knowledge to succeeding generations
- This is how we LEARN the unwritten rules that are practiced within the organization
- They are passed down from “generation to generation”
- What will your generation learn from those that went before?
- What will you pass down to those who come after you?
Barriers to Safety Conversations
- Client vs. Contractor
- Lack of Understanding
Benefits of Safety Conversations
- Address Concerns
- Reduce Risks
- Enhance Safety Culture
- Actionable Outcomes
What Does A Good Safety Conversation Look Like?
- Positive start
- Good Questions
- Genuine Care and Concern
- Active Listening
- Feedback and Follow-through
By having these conversations we are developing a more involved workforce and sharing our safety culture for everyone’s use.