Life-Saving Commitment #8: Driving Safety
While driving, do not use your phone and obey all traffic laws
Speeding or using your phone while driving increases the risk of losing control of your vehicle.
If you are a driver, while driving you should:
- Not use a mobile phone or pager, send or read text messages; or use a hands free mobile phone device.
- Stay at or below the maximum allowable speed for the road you are driving on as indicated by road signs or company policy.
- Stay at or below the maximum allowable speed for the vehicle you are driving.
- Adjust your speed for the prevailing conditions.
- Always use a seat belt.
- Check that your seat belt works properly.
- Keep your seat belt properly fastened while in a moving vehicle.
- Check that everyone in the vehicle is wearing a seat belt properly before starting to drive.
If you are a passenger, you should:
- Intervene if a driver is using a phone in a moving vehicle.
- Intervene if a driver is exceeding the maximum allowable speed.