Slips, Trips and Falls: Equipment
Preventing Falls from Equipment
Ask the following questions:
- What are the hazards? Falls from heights, mud, ice, slippery conditions
- What are the results? Broken bones, internal damage, death
- What should we look for? Improper entry and exit, not wearing safety equipment, riding on loads, not riding in a proper seat, climbing on tractor trailers, or falls during maintenance.
How do we prevent these results?
- Do not jump from equipment
- Use three points of contact when ascending or descending equipment
- Keep steps, rungs, and treads clear of ice, mud, etc
- Wear your seat belt or other fall protection devices where applicable
- Do not ride loads or buckets
- Use equipment as it is intended and in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations