Slips, Trips and Falls: Ladders
Preventing Falls from Ladders
Ask the following questions:
- What are the hazards? Falls from heights from extension or stepladder use
- What are the results? Broken bones, internal damage, death
- What should we look for? Improper type, damaged ladder, improper ladder placement, ladder not tied off, ladder not extending 36” above deck, improper climbing procedures, standing on top step of a stepladder.
How do we prevent these results?
- Use the correct ladder type for the job.
- Properly set the ladder at 1:4 base to height ratio
- Set base; tie off the ladder; and extend the ladder 36” above deck or provide grab-rails.
- Do not stand on the top step of a step ladder.
- Use proper climbing procedures; always maintain 3 points of contact.
- Use equipment as it is intended and follow the manufacturer’s guidelines.
Ask the following questions about ladders on this site and ensure every item is covered.
- How do you properly inspect a ladder before it is used?
- Find the labeling on the ladder and discuss the manufacturer’s recommendations and guidelines.
- How do you set up an extension ladder?
- How do you properly use an “A-frame” stepladder?
- Are there any damaged ladders at this site?