Incidental Spill Response
Even though incidental spills don’t cause emergency threats to workers or our facility, they should still be handled with urgency and approached with caution.
A technique you can use during incidental spill response is SPAR: Stop, Protect, Attack and Report. These steps will help you and others around you stay safe while you’re addressing incidental spills.
S = Stop
- Is the spill incidental or does it create an emergency situation?
- Is it safe for me to clean up this spill?
P = Protect
- Do I need any PPE?
- Do I need to protect sensitive areas like drains or electrical panels?
A = Attack
- Contain the spill
- Use absorbents, vacuums or other tools to clean up the spilled materials
- Restore the area to pre-spill conditions to reduce the chance of slips and falls
R = Report
- Even if it was a small spill, inform a supervisor or spill team coordinator so that response
*Tool Box Talk based on GC submitted by Brian Dion – Exelon Mystic Station