Excavation Safety III
Design of Protective Systems
The employer shall select and construct:
- Slopes and configurations of sloping and benching systems
- Support systems, shield systems, and other protective systems
- Shield– can be permanent or portable. Also known as trench box or trench shield.
- Shoring– such as metal hydraulic, mechanical or timber shoring system that supports the sides
- Sloping– form sides of an excavation that are inclined away from the excavation
Protect Employees Exposed to Potential Cave-ins
- Slope or bench the sides of the excavation,
- Support the sides of the excavation, or
- Place a shield between the side of the excavation and the work area.