Excavation Safety: Protective Systems
Additional Requirements for Protective Systems:
- Remove support systems as you backfill the trench
- Extend trench boxes and shields to the bottom of the trench and no less than 18 inches above the vertical part of the trench face, except in certain cases
- Do not allow employees in shields during their installation, removal or relocation
- When portable trench boxes are stacked, provide attaching means to prevent them from separating
- Do not work outside of trench shields or shoring protection in unprotected trenches
CALL 811 BEFORE YOU DIG!