Back to Work Safety
Being away from work allows us to recharge and refocus. However, before you head back to work, you need to prepare yourself. Back to work safety should be one of your first priorities as you return from time off. You might have gotten used to sleeping in or a brand new routine. Whether you were off for the weekend, a vacation or a holiday, it is important to prepare yourself for getting back into the swing of things. Statistics show that it does not take much time away from work for us to lose our good safety habits that we have worked so hard to develop. So before you head back to work, make sure you take care of a few things:
- Get the proper amount of sleep.
- Clear your head of any off-job issues and remember your work routine.
- It’s helpful to scan your path of travel for hazards. When we are away from work, we tend to forget about even the small things that we are used to seeing or avoiding on a daily basis. Also, when we are away, things can change so make sure your safe areas haven’t changed and walkways are still the same.
- Be sure to review the critical steps of your job and the specific things you have to do in order to stay safe.
- Take the time to settle back in to your work area and make sure everything is where you need it to be.
When you return to work, it’s important to guard yourself from distractions. No matter what mood you are in, the gears on your machines still turn, gravity is still in force, chemicals are still hazardous, and certain areas are still loud. As you prepare to return to work, no matter the environment, be on the lookout for any changes that may been made and allow yourself the time to settle back in and take in your surroundings.