- Each location shall conduct a survey to determine, per local regulations or consensus standards, all circuits requiring the installation of GFCIs.
- Anytime an extension cord set is used, the extension cord set shall be protected by a GFCI.
- GFCIs shall be used anytime extension cord sets are used for construction or maintenance tasks.
- Portable GFCIs used in construction and maintenance activities shall be inspected and tested prior to each use. Any damaged GFCIs shall be immediately removed from service.
- Permanently mounted GFCIs, shall be inspected on a quarterly basis and/or according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- A portable GFCI shall be plugged directly into a receptacle and an extension cord shall be plugged into the portable GFCI. Ensure that hands are not wet when plugging or unplugging cords.
- Ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs), low voltage, and/or double-insulated tools will be used in construction and wet locations and on all extension cord fed portable power tools.