Lifting & Backs
Can you describe how to perform a two handed lift?
When deciding whether or not a lift can be performed safely, consider the load to be lifted and your body position. For a two handed lift, check that the load is stable and that the weight is acceptable for a manual lift.
Then follow these steps to ensure the best body position.
- While facing the load, put one foot forward
- Bend the knees to reach down
- Grab the load
- Swivel the load if needed to get a better grip
- While grasping the load, position your elbows close to your sides
- Break eye contact with the load and look straight ahead
- Then lift using your knees
This technique is preferred because placing one foot forward gives you better balance; bending your knees reduces stress on the lower back; and looking forward when lifting retains the natural curve of your back, all of which combine to make a safer lift.