Life-Saving Commitment #1: Perform Atmospheric Testing When Required
Atmosphere is tested to stop fires, explosions and/or make sure you can breathe the air safely
- Confirm with the Supervisor or the person in charge of the work that, if required or deemed necessary, the atmosphere is tested.
- Confirm with the supervisor or the person in charge of the work that it is safe to start work.
- Stop work if you smell gas, other unusual odors or the detection equipment sounds. Immediately exit the area and notify your supervisor.
If you are testing the atmosphere you should:
- Understand which tests are required and how often.
- Use certified equipment for the test.
If you are the Supervisor or the person in charge of the work you should:
- Confirm that testing is carried out as per policy.
- Request more test if necessary.
- Confirm that it is safe to start work.