Electricity is our most versatile form of energy; it is vital to our business. Electricity can be used safely if it is installed, maintained, and used properly. However, misuse of electrical energy can cause severe damage to the human body and can cause secondary injuries such as falls. Small currents passing through vital organs such as the heart can even cause death and current though other body parts can lead to amputation and permanent paralysis; while arc flash can cause blindness and severe burns. In addition, fires and explosions resulting from electrical shorts can cause serious production stoppages for our clients.
The purpose of the JJ White, Inc. Electrical Safety program is to:
- Guide the correct and approved safe usage of electrical equipment and devices.
- Reduce and eliminate the conditions and work practices that may lead to electrical shock, equipment damage, and fire.
- Comply with OSHA 29 CFR 1910 Subpart S, OSHA 29 CFR 1926 Subpart K, NFPA 70E, and the National Electric Code as applicable.
- Comply with our Client’s Electrical Safety Standards
Employees have the responsibility to:
- Use appropriate safe work practices and protective materials to work safely;
- Ask questions if they do not feel comfortable with a work assignment involving exposure or potential exposure to electrical hazards and the necessary safe work practices or protective equipment.
- Inform management if they feel that additional training is required for a job or job task.
- Identify any areas of concern in their job/work area that present an electrical safe work practices hazard.