Crane & Hoist Safety
During an average year, injuries caused by working with or near cranes, hoists and similar equipment account for thousands of lost-time claims.
There are certain safety rules that must be followed by everyone who works with or near this type of equipment.
- Stay alert and pay attention to the warning signal from overhead hoisting equipment
- Never stand or walk under a load, whether it’s moving or stationary
- Always warn others of moving and approaching overhead loads
- Never attempt to distract signal persons or operators of the overhead equipment while they are performing their jobs
- Always obey warning signs, especially those that are posted in critical areas
- Check to see that the equipment you are about to operate has been properly inspected and is certified for operationTest the warning signal or device to make sure it is working properly
- Never operate a crane that is unsafe
- Never permit an unauthorized person to operate the crane or give the signals
- Always be sure that the operator and signal persons are in direct and clear view, or in communication by radio
- Never carry a load over other workers.